The Brunswick Public Library Association was founded by the citizens of Brunswick in 1883 to start the process of building a lending library for the community. In 1903, the library received a gift of land and funds from William J. Curtis to build a permanent structure on Pleasant Street. The original library building was completed in 1904 and was dedicated to William’s father John Curtis, a celebrated ship’s captain who sailed from the Brunswick area to ports around the world in the second half of the 19th century. In October 1999, the library commenced operations in an expanded and renovated 44,000 square foot facility on Pleasant Street. The $6.2 million facility was made possible by a combination of public funds ($4.0 million bond approved by a 70% vote) and private support ($2.2 million raised by the library). Today, Curtis Memorial Library is a cultural and educational hub of the Brunswick and Harpswell communities, welcoming nearly 1,000 visitors daily.